If you are interested in learning more about job opportunities at our school you may contact us to inquire. While we appreciate all resumes from interested teachers, we prefer to hire teachers that are dedicated to small community living, First Nations education and committed to being with us for more than 1 year. We expect our teachers to be passionate, dedicated and maintain high standards.
John George Martin Memorial School is a First Nations Community School located on the Wunnumin Lake First Nations Reservation in Wunnumin Lake, Ontario. It is a fly-in community that is in a remote part of Northern Ontario. The John George Martin Memorial School is a K-10 school that educates 150 students.
Wunnumin Lake is an inviting and welcoming community; the community of Wunnumin Lake has many recreational opportunities including fishing, boating, hiking, ice fishing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling and other outdoor activities. The community has multiple small community-run stores as well as a Northern Store for your grocery needs. There is a community-run gym facility. We have a fully and recently renovated Nursing Station that services the community health needs. Our community is serviced by Wasaya Airways and we have flights daily Mon-Saturday. The community is also serviced by Canada Post.
This year we are lucky to be able to say that we are starting the new school year off in a brand new school building.
At this time we are looking for teachers for the 2022/2023 School Year
John George Martin Memorial School is actively seeking innovative, creative, visionary educators who genuinely want to make a difference in their students’ lives. We strive to hire individuals or groups of educators who celebrate diversity, create synergy through teamwork and who will support student engagement and community partnerships.
We are looking for teachers who are willing to work with our children in a way that nurtures the love of school. We want a teacher who sees and feels that living in the north is an adventure. To that point, you must be willing to relocate to and work in a remote community.
We are seeking the following positions for the 2022/2023 school year
- Grade 4/5 Classroom Teacher
- Grade 6/7 Classroom Teacher
- Grade 9/10 Teacher – Preference given to a Math Specialist
All Applicants must:
All applicants must be Canadian Citizens or hold Canadian Permanent Residency and be legally able to live and work in Canada at the time of application. We DO NOT accept applications from international applicants
- Have a current Certificate of Qualification and Registration with the Ontario College of Teachers or be qualified to obtain one
- Certified by an accredited University (BA/BED/Teacher training program)
- (High School) Experience as a secondary school teacher
- Experience teaching in a First Nation school and/or teaching First Nation students
- Knowledge of First Nation education, First Nation cultures and lifestyles
- Aware of cutting-edge research-based teaching strategies in the area of Literacy and Numeracy
- Working knowledge of the Universal Design for Learning and Differentiated Instruction
- Knowledge of the three types of assessment and use different types of assessment strategies
- ability to work with students at various levels of achievement
- Excellent computer and technology skills to support teacher instruction and student learning in the classroom
- Knowledge of and willingness to write, revise, edit and apply Individual Education Plans
- The Education Authority covers flights into Wunnumin Lake in the fall and home for the summer as part of your contract
- Teachers are provided with a fully furnished teacherage which includes laundry, full kitchen, 4 piece bathroom, double or queen size bed with bedding, towels and other linens, dishes/pots & pans, dining table with chairs, living room furniture, SmartTV & internet
- Rent is $400/month and covers everything but cable
- Pets are allowed
- The community is serviced by KNET for cell phone service. You can purchase a phone in the community.
- Phones that run on the TbayTel Mobile Network also work in Wunnumin Lake, for texting and calling.
- $1000.00 Signing Bonus
- Christmas and March Break Bonuses
- Christmas and March Break Travel Subsidy of $500.00
- Many opportunities for professional development throughout the school year
- Contract length: 12 months
How To Apply
All applications can be emailed to:
Rhoda Angees, Education Director
Email Subject Line: Application for Teaching Position
Applications must include:
- Cover Letter
- OCT Certification
- If You are from out of Ontario, your provincial certification
- If you have recently graduated from an Ontario Teachers Education Program, please let us know that you are in the process of obtaining your OCT
- QECO Rating (If You Have One)
- Police Records Check with Vulnerable Sectors Check
- 3 Professional References, include your most recent employer
- Recently graduated teachers please include your final student teaching assessments in place of your most recent employer
- Undergraduate Diplomas (BA. BEd, etc.)
- Other Information(AQ Completion Certificates, Coaching Credentials, etc.)
- Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Residency Status
All applicants must be Canadian Citizens or hold Canadian Permanent Residency and be legally able to live and work in Canada at the time of application. We DO NOT accept applications from international applicants.